MobileNoter v.1.0 is available

Tuesday, 11/10/2009, 06:39 PM by Vitaly Gorn

We are happy to announce that MobileNoter v.1.0 was released today. You can find what is new in this release in the recent blog post. This is major release with many of new features. We could not make it without feedback of our users, so I want to say thanks once again for everyone who helped us. We hope you like it and continue sending helpful feedback.

Important notes for existing users

Please update both applications:

• MobileNoter iPhone application. It is delivered as an update in App Store.
  • MobileNoter Desktop Sync client. Restart application on your PC and it should detect an update.

Applications are cross compatible. But to use new features like encryption you must update both. Also, if you have Section Groups or Sub Pages in your OneNote notebooks and want them be reflected on iPhone you have to reset your data on the server.
To reset your data on the server, please do the following in the Desktop Sync client:

• Unselect all notebooks on Notebooks tab. And run synchronization.
  • Select Notebooks and run synchronization again.

Thanks!

Comments

11/7/2009 12:42:49 AM #

When will it recognize 2010 Onenote Formats?
Right now I am running RTM 2010 Technical preview it does not see any of the notebooks.
If I open 2007, I can than syn the notebooks.

Thanks

steve hibbard |

11/8/2009 9:16:30 AM #

Steve, we are focused on 2010 OneNote compatibility these days. When I have more info I will write it here or in a new blog post. 2010 version of OneNote can change pretty much from TP to the final version, at least in terms of API. It is unpredictable for us. That is why we were not paying too much attention to this. We tested MobileNoter with some beta1 build of Office and it was working generally ok. MS announced that there will be new public beta build in November; we will try to make MobileNoter fully compatible with it.

Vitaly |

11/7/2009 1:17:29 AM #

Congratulations on the 1.0 release, it's wonderful! Great work guys! Thanks for putting in all the hard work. It's really good to know that you are constantly improving MobileNoter! Great work!

Waseem |

11/8/2009 9:17:01 AM #

Thanks, Waseem!

Vitaly |

11/7/2009 7:29:55 AM #

Great work as always.  One thing I didn't notice after updating was where Search is located.  Unfortunatly I'm traveling all week so I can't update the Desktop Sync client.  Would that be the issue?

Graham |

11/8/2009 9:18:45 AM #

Graham, yes, you have to update desktop app and reset your data on the server (uncheck notebooks, sync, check again and sync once again).

Vitaly |

11/7/2009 11:26:41 AM #

Regarding the wifi-syncing version, if we subscribe now, will the wifi syncing be free in the future? Or will the app be essentially unusable until the next version for those who don't want to pay a yearly cloud storage fee, but would be willing to invest in the app for wifi only syncing?

Grant |

11/8/2009 9:29:52 AM #

Grant, there is also option to subscribe for 3 months. If you are waiting for the Wi-Fi version but want to use MobileNoter from now, then subscription for 3 month is best for you.

Vitaly |

11/7/2009 1:21:55 PM #

Well done on this release!

scoobie |

11/8/2009 9:30:42 AM #

Thanks, Scoobie!

Vitaly |

11/7/2009 1:37:33 PM #

Paypal only?  Really?  I guess you don't expect many corporate users?  I can't wait to tell my purchasing department that I can only purchase this software using paypal.

Andy |

11/8/2009 10:02:31 AM #

Andy, what payment method do you prefer?

Vitaly |

11/8/2009 6:51:56 AM #

Thanks for creating this application.  I'm excited to be able to have my notebooks available to me always.  I hope that you will be able add the ability to edit my existing pages at some point.

Thanks!

Larry Truesdale |

11/8/2009 10:06:46 AM #

Thanks Larry. Editing capabilities of OneNote data is complex task, especially in an iPhone app, but we are moving in this direction.

Vitaly |

11/11/2009 12:23:33 AM #

Understood.  For my part, I don't expect you do do it all at once.  Primarily, I have lists (bulletted text) in OneNote which I'd like to be able to edit.  Even starting small with being able to check/uncheck items would be a good start.  Adding/editing/deleting items to these lists would satisfy most of my needs.  In any case, I know its complicated.  So, I'll patiently wait for you to do it when you can.  Thanks, Larry

Larry Truesdale |

11/8/2009 5:13:57 PM #

How secure is the data sent to your servers?  Does it use a secured socket layer?  How safe is the data once it resides on your server?  Love the product!!!  Just need to know that my personal information is safe.

RJ |

11/9/2009 8:08:34 AM #

RJ,
- SSL is used to protect your connection to the server
- Additionally, you can enable data encryption. This will encrypt your data with your key just before it is transmitted to the Internet and decrypt when it is received on another device. Key is not transmitted anywhere. We use AES-256 algorithm for data encryption

Vitaly |

11/9/2009 5:43:14 AM #

Keep us posted on the wi fi app. I hope you can get it out this year.

scoobie |

11/10/2009 7:29:55 PM #

Hi,

Are you planning or working on read-write access to OneNote notebooks?
Even a limited ability to add/edit a text-only version of page without preserving formatting will add a great value to your application.

Crulex |

11/20/2009 6:39:10 PM #

Useless.... a seven day trial that can't figure out it was never set-up to try!?  Maybe it's good, maybe it's not... never got a chance to try it since I downloaded the beta version and never activated it on the phone, but the "trial" ran out.... so it's all been uninstalled now and I'll either do without it or find a solution which allows a real trial first.

BocaB |

11/21/2009 8:14:41 AM #

BocaB, from your comment it is not clear why you was not able to start using MobileNoter in seven days. We extend trial period for users who are not able to start using MobileNoter because of some errors or who just needs help installing it. Please send us a description of your problem using the support page on this web site.

Vitaly |

11/22/2009 2:46:55 PM #

I'm a little disappointed about the subscription fee. While low, it is still money going out every month, and to be honest I can't see any good reason for it.

I would much rather have had a bluetooth sync or something similar, and paid $30 for the app.

Narcissus |

11/23/2009 9:35:28 AM #

I agree with Narcissus.  Would have been willing to pay a very high one-time fee for the app, but am unwilling to pay a monthly fee.  This means that the app is no longer of any use to me.  I think you (mobilenoter) will find that many customers think like this.  If there were any other way to use the app without the monthly fee (even like syncing via USB) it would make this app worth purchasing.  But the monthly fee is just... ridiculous to be completely honest.  Sorry for the bluntness, but this is honest customer response.

One more thing to point out is that people who have companies willing to buy the app for them might find it more difficult to get the company to pay for a subscription.

Dissapointed also |

11/23/2009 8:58:39 PM #

Thank you for your response. There is upcoming version of MobileNoter that will work without server and will be available as a one time purchase, no subscriptions.
We completely understand that there are many users who do not like subscriptions at all. We know there are such users, we accept this and taking measures to offer suitable payment model for them.

Vitaly |

11/30/2009 7:27:55 AM #

Thanks for MobileNoter 1.0. It's a great app and I've signed up for a subscription - I actually much prefer the hosted model to a direct sync to my PC, since I wouldn't remember to sync my iPhone before leaving my desk.

I am also perfectly fine with not being able to edit full-fledged notes on my iPhone. Doing more than simple notes is unfeasible anyway, and this way I have an "inbox" for notes that need to be sorted and dealt with.

However, I have a few notes (taken with the help of MobileNoter of course) on the application , that I very much hope will be addressed in the near future.

- Allow search even if pages are hidden (An absolute must)
The search bar is shown when scrolling up - but only if "Combine pages with sections" is on. I rely heavily on search, but have too many pages for it to be feasible to view them all at once with the "Combine pages with section option". (Of course, if I am mistaken in this, I would be very happy to be corrected).

- Collapse section groups
The navigation of section and group structure needs to be improved. Preferably, both pages and section groups could be handled in a tree view, removing the need for a "Combine pages with sections" option from the settings page.

- Remember search when exiting
On a trip, I typically want to search for pages relevant to the trip, and refer to them over and over again. I would really prefer to see the same view of the tree after exiting and restarting the app (so, searches should be remembered, and if sections have been opened or closed, that should ideally be remembered as well).

- Allow photo and voice notes
You know about this already, this would be an extremely useful feature of course. Allowing pictures from the camera roll to be added to notes would be very useful as well.

- Search section names and section group names
It would be very useful if the search found sections (and perhaps section groups) that contain the name. A workaround is to put the section name in the title of each page, but that is less than ideal.

Best regards, and congratulations on a great release.
Magnus

Magnus |

12/5/2009 2:12:09 AM #

Thanks for a such valuable feedback, Magnus.
There will be separate search screen in the next release of iPhone app (1.1). It will be accessible from the home screen and will search in all notebooks and Quick Notes. There will be some options to refine a search too. And it will search in section and group names (your suggestion was just in time).
Support of pictures in Quick Notes is also part of the next release.
We hope 1.1 will be available this year. We actively working on it right now.

We will see if we can also implement 'Remember search when exiting' in this release.
We considering implementing collapsible sections and groups in one of the future releases.

Vitaly |

12/5/2009 4:06:50 PM #

This all sounds awesome. Keep up the good work!

Magnus |