MobileNoter SE 1.0 in Android Market

Thursday, 03/10/2011, 03:37 AM by Anton Molokoedov

Today we are officially releasing the first version of the MobileNoter SE (Standalone Edition) for Android.

As you may already know, the main difference between MobileNoter and MobileNoter SE is that MobileNoter SE works with .one files directly and doesn't require a Windows Sync Client. That gives you more possibilities to sync your notes with PC in an easy way.

MobileNoter SE 1.0 allows you to:

• View your notes with preserved formatting and layout (just like in OneNote!)
  • Search through the notes
  • Look through the tags summary
  • Work with .one files directly (for example, store them on the SD card)

MobileNoter SE is being purchased through the Android Market and costs $7.99.

It is a separate application and doesn't require a license for traditional MobileNoter.

Please note:

• MobileNoter SE is designed for MS OneNote 2010, there can be some problems with notebooks created with previous versions of MS OneNote.
  • Handwriting (inks) and editing functionality will be added in one of the next updates.

Comments

3/7/2011 2:29:53 PM #

It's is not clear to me from this what Mobile SE does and how I would actually use it.

john bornholt |

3/7/2011 3:38:39 PM #

It does the same thing as usual MobileNoter (except for editing functionality, it will appear in MobileNoter SE a bit later), but it works with OneNote notebooks in entirely different way.
If you are interested how the sync is peformed in SE, please read this - http://www.mobilenoter.com/About/About_Android_SE

3/8/2011 4:05:50 AM #

Can you be a tiny bit less cryptic please?  Surely it took hundreds of hours to develop this new product, so why not spend more than, say, ten minutes to explain what the item does!!?

From the link you provide it seems clear that it opens .one files stored on your card directly.  Great.  But why do you then talk about "Synchronization will be performed in background"?   Syncronizing the SD folders to what?    By synchronization do you just mean opening the files?  Or do you have in mind synchronization to another machine?

Cmon.  I really like the roadmap you guys have and I really want to support you and see you succeed but I'm baffled at how little resources you are spending on trying to get your products adopted and sold.  This is surely costing you business.

Jonathan |

3/8/2011 4:36:59 AM #

Synchronization in MobileNoter SE is required to add and update notebooks in the app. In other words it is something similar to a button "Refresh".
The main benefit of MobileNoter SE is that you can setup your own synchronization environment, the only thing you need is to get your .one files on your device (and you can use a way you like more).
For example, you can synchronize the mobile app with the PC using Dropbox and you don't need to have a MobileNoter account and to install the Windows Sync Client.

3/8/2011 2:18:22 PM #

This seems a good system, so I paid the money down. I've tried to sync a number of times with the Onenote 2010 files on my sdcard, but with no success. The sync process takes around 15 minutes, but without any readout of number of files synced, only the rotating sync symbol.

Is there anything particular about where the Onenote files are kept? Should it be a root folder?

Can it be just a global folder containing all the Onenote files, or should it be at the level of subfolders where there are individual notebooks, or something else?

I do hope my money is well spent. I did finally get the cloud sync going, but this would be more efficient.

Kevin |

3/9/2011 6:15:56 AM #

For those of us who ponyed up money for the Wifi Sync version, is there any hope that we could get a discount on this version?  I'd much rather use the direct files and sync to a network storage server.
Thanks!

Jim |

3/11/2011 6:12:17 AM #

Sorry, but currently there are no discount programs.

3/9/2011 4:34:52 PM #

After many attempts, I started trying to sync just one notebook. This failed on first two tries, but then succeeded. I have then been able to sync the other notebooks. The tag and search functions work well.

I've no idea why this didn't work initially.

I look foward to internal linking and editing.

A troubleshooting guide would also be good.

Kevin |

3/11/2011 5:13:25 AM #

Kevin, thank you for the report. But we haven't recieved any similar complaints, so currently it is not clear why the app hasn't been working initially. If there would be any common issues, we'll update our FAQ.

4/6/2011 8:17:04 AM #

The same thing happened to me - and then I noticed that on my device it said that the server might be still syncing with another device, and that I was still performing my initial sync from the PC.
After that everything was fine.

Could be the same for you? Looks like the server can't sync with the PC and mobile at the same time.

Assaf Stone |

3/11/2011 8:05:34 PM #

What are the ongoing plans for MobileNoter SE vs MobileNoter for Android?

I paid up for the cloud sync a few weeks ago so that I could get OneNote documents onto my phone. I consider MobileNoter 2.0 very good for reading notes but unusable right now for editing (see comments in MobileNoter 2.0 posts). I tried the MobileNoter SE beta and found it incredibly slow to load up my notebooks from my SD card and the document layout poor compared to MobileNoter 2.0

Is editing going to be fixed in MobileNoter 2.0? Will page creation be added? Will these same features be added to MobileNoter SE? If so, what is your current estimate for when these features will be available.

If MobileNoter SE & MobileNoter 2.0 will ultimately have the same functionality (excluding document sync), I'd rather have MobileNoter SE & sync via DropBox

Matthew |

3/12/2011 1:46:44 PM #

In the nearest future MobileNoter and MobileNoter SE will get the same set of features, but not simultaneously (sometimes).
Of course, we are going to fix the present bugs. MobileNoter SE with editing and page creations is planned to be released in Q2 2011.

3/12/2011 10:40:11 PM #

Thanks for the update. I look forward to trying out your updated versions Smile

Matthew |

3/15/2011 10:47:17 PM #

Is it possible that the SE version is not downloadable right now? I can not get it, wanted to buy it.
Now that I read some of these things I wonder. Is there a problem with the sync that it is slow or is that only a single statement? My onenote book is about 600MB and therefore a WiFi or Cloud edtition does not work for me. I am looking forward to get the SE version. Just let me know how I can download it.
Thanks

patrick |

3/16/2011 4:09:42 AM #

Possibly there was an Android Market failure, we're not sure. A 600Mb notebook synchronization can take about 10 minutes.

3/19/2011 8:25:34 AM #

Thank you I got it, will set it up soon. Smile

patrick |

3/23/2011 1:43:15 AM #

The SE version looks like what I'd like, but our work system has OneNote 2007, not 2010.  The notes above say that there can be problems with prior versions of OneNote.  What types of problems would I have?  Would it work, but with less functionality?

Does the other version work well with 2007?

Thanks,
PJ

PJ |

3/28/2011 8:23:02 PM #

PJ, it will work, but the formatting in pages can get corrupted. The regular MobileNoter doesn't have such problem.

3/28/2011 7:18:43 PM #

I paid for the wifi version and the sync would fail halfway multiple times and then fail and lose all my data... on xoom 3.0.1. So I tried this and it works except for when images are imported into the one note file which results in a blank box where the image should be no matter how many images are in the original one note file. These images come from a pdf or word so it appears this is not just an iPhone iPad printout problem. Please fix this because the app is useless to me otherwise. If you can not fix, I would appreciate a refund. Thanks, Matt

matt |

3/28/2011 8:35:42 PM #

Matt, the current version doesn't fully support the Android 3.0 yet, we are working on it.

3/28/2011 10:13:30 PM #

I thought the editing options will be available with the very release but now I have something even better to wait for, thanks!

web sms me again |

3/29/2011 12:34:37 PM #

generally Mobile SE on my nexus works fine but OneNote pages (2010) which contain either screen clips or have been constructed as a pdf print don't show these areas. will this be fixed for the future (I can send examples if needed)

Sacha |