Start using MobileNoter on Android OS!

Wednesday, 12/22/2010, 09:24 PM by Anton Molokoedov

The first public version of the MobileNoter for Android (0.9 Beta) is now available for download!

If you have a device with Android OS, you can download and use it right now!

Using MobileNoter 0.9 Beta, you can view your OneNote notebooks with preserved formatting and layout, search through them or look through the tags summary.

In future versions of the MobileNoter for Android it will be possible to manage notebooks content, create and edit notes and synchronize the app with PC in various ways.

You are welcome to send feedback about MobileNoter for Android 0.9 Beta to support@mobilenoter.com

Comments

12/18/2010 11:06:05 PM #

Installation instructions please!!    The Windows client installed with no problem, and I navigated the settings there fine.

But how to get the download to install on android?  Hitting the download linke from my android phone  attempts to download and htm document.  Downloading via Windows to the phone SD card (using phone as USB drive) downloads an .apk.  Do I need to install an SDK?

I've been waiting for this release for a long time, so I'm very keen to see this work!  Kudos for the program development, but please  (if you ultimately aim for this to be a commercial success) don't neglect minimal documentation for those of us who are not developers but still keen to test and help improve the latest releases

jm |

12/19/2010 6:05:56 AM #

One way to install is to save the file to your pc, email it to yourself, open your email on your mobile, I then go the option to install the attach. Easy!  All in under a minute.

scoobie |

12/18/2010 11:16:45 PM #

OK, I figured out how to install:  Install ASTRO File Manager app from Android Market. In Astro: Click on downloaded .apk file (short press). Choose "Open App Manager" and then "Install"

So it wasn't hard.  Still, I stand by my earlier comment that you could have included this kind of 1-2 line explanation in your release.

jm |

12/19/2010 12:28:10 AM #

In your blog you say syncing with PC is coming later. How do I get the notes on the Android device if sync is not present?

scoobie |

12/19/2010 6:03:03 AM #

Scoobie, with 0.9 Beta you can sync with PC, but only in one way: you can load notes from OneNote to your Android device and view them.

Anton Molokoedov |

12/19/2010 6:04:11 AM #

Please read the instructions here: http://www.mobilenoter.com/About/About_Android

Anton Molokoedov |

12/19/2010 8:19:57 AM #

Just synced 860+ pages successfully
One comment - I find the way the notebooks are displayed could be improved. Whenever I select the notebooks icon I only get the quickstart guide notebook. I can only select my other notebooks from the dropdown. I'd prefer all my notebooks to be on the page directly after I select the notebook icon

scoobie |

12/20/2010 4:10:45 AM #

There should be shown a notebook you've opened previously, but in the version 0.9 beta there is a bug that it always shows the Quick Start Guide by default. It will be fixed soon.

Anton Molokoedov |

12/19/2010 1:37:53 PM #

I use OneNote on my tablet computer to take handwritten notes every day, and was very excited to see this released for android, but I am having a problem with how the notes are displayed on my android, and previously have had the same problem with the app for ipod touch. It seems as though the page size for my notes is decreased by mobilenoter, resulting in all of my handwritten lines word-wrapping and overlapping the other lines of writing. This results in a giant mess of illegible written notes that I can barely even distinguish. Am I the only one having this problem?

Doyle |

12/19/2010 9:56:08 PM #

Hello Doyle,

Yes, this problem can appear sometimes. It will be fixed in one of the next versions.

Anton Molokoedov |

12/19/2010 4:20:10 PM #

I'm very excited that you're now releasing the Android version. Any idea how far away the version that will allow editing on the Android device is? If you need a Galaxy Tab beta tester, by all means let me know.

GeoffreyM |

12/19/2010 9:58:22 PM #

Hello Geoffrey,

There is no exact date yet, but it should be released in Q1 2011.

Anton Molokoedov |

12/20/2010 12:33:52 PM #

Thanks for the quick response. I did notice something when doing my first sync yesterday that I'd like to see changed. When the sync is occurring, leaving MobileNoter ends the sync and shows an error message that the synchronization stopped unexpectedly, or something like that.

GeoffreyM |

12/19/2010 5:48:27 PM #

I've been very impressed with the Android app thus far, and I've gotten the cloud sync to work.

Question: I have Onenote 2010 on two machines "Home" and "Work" and I keep the shared notebooks on Windows Office live).  In fact it's three machines because one notebook is also shared with my wife.

So how should I handle this?  Is it OK to have a windows mobilenoter client on "Home' and "work" machines and initiate a sync from either machine, or will that cause trouble (e.g. duplicates)?
Suggestions for how to handle this best?

jm |

12/19/2010 10:07:49 PM #

It's better to have the Windows Sync Client installed only on one PC. Otherwise, yes, it can duplicate content.

Anton Molokoedov |

12/21/2010 7:10:19 PM #

There are some sync programs at this time: dropbox, sugarsync... It is easy to handle so well syncing files between desktop and mobile devices (iOS, Android...). I think it would be better if mobileNoter supports directly reading&writing onenote file format. Yes, it is more easier.

Please also add password protected notebook,

Thanks,

Hothan Dao |

12/22/2010 4:40:21 AM #

It worked quite well, I could sync all the onenote stuff with my android.. but when I tried to navigate in between the diffrent notes it was terribly slow and sometimes even hung up.. is it a matter of early versions or will it be the same in the future as well?

Emanuel |

12/27/2010 4:16:07 AM #

Emanuel, the sync speed has been increased in Beta 2.

Anton Molokoedov |

12/22/2010 9:39:10 PM #

Hello, tnx for a good initiative!

One additional idea is the app to sync via Skydrive, just like the web solution for one note. Then one wouldn't need to bother with windows sync etc.

Tompa |

12/23/2010 4:51:23 PM #

I am using cloud sync and I uploaded several notebooks (couple hundred megabytes worth) and inevitably, I start the sync on my droid and it stops syncing at about 10%.  This is the case even with my phone set to keep power on and display on.

Is there a way to usb connect and throw the notebooks on that way?  I know there is wifi, but why not simply allow dragging and dropping the files on the phone via usb (or is there a way and I am just missing it)?

Perry |

12/27/2010 4:17:42 AM #

Perry, such feature will possibly appear later, when the new algorithm to work with files will be implemented (now it is the same as in iOS version of MobileNoter).

Anton Molokoedov |

12/25/2010 7:29:10 AM #

Just wanted to say thanks a lot for your (so far free!) work, it gives me that tingly organizational feeling.  Finally my life is all synced!

Ryan |

12/26/2010 5:27:29 AM #

Great work guys.
The beta 2 works perfectly on my Galaxy Tab, fast too.
Can't wait for the ability to edit, but even now just being able to view Onenote sections and pages is fantastic.

Andrew |

1/1/2011 10:53:16 PM #

I agree. Very happy to find an app that allows reading ON files on the go (using Galaxy Tab).

As an average user, not a geek but not my mom, I had the same problems reported above:

1. Almost 40 min spent trial and error for the app to pair with my PC and I though i had entered the IP address incorrectly, check the name of server, etc etc etc  etc. Finally, we read the last comments and realized that we actually H-A-D  TO   T-A-B    O-N the MENU button to make it appear,right, a line or two in the help documentation could have helped. Guess some may have been disencouraged particularly when the average ONote user does not tend to be a geek. Would be very nice a pop-up window ...may be?

2.  Very nice UI; I was thinking may be an interface similar to the MEMO app that comes with the machine  (Galaxy Tab) where you can have a list of notebooks and subpages to the left, with a preview pane to the right would be cool (at least when in landscape prientation)

Thank you thank you for the app...

maskaypacha |

1/4/2011 11:19:11 PM #

App working well on HTC Desire. As soon as I am sure the editing is up and running I will definately purchas the wi-fi edition.

Keep up the good work.

Rob |

1/12/2011 12:45:05 AM #

App is working good on my HTC.

Ben
orlando web site designer

orlando web site designer |

1/12/2011 4:00:01 AM #

I can not get the app to install to my droid 2.  Tried emailing it to myself, but can't get the file to install, tried to download directly from website link to droid, but file will not download properly.  Any ideas?

Robert |

1/13/2011 6:54:42 AM #

This morning I found Mobilenoter in the Android Market.  Downloaded, installed, and synced in minutes.  Nice work.  The app looks great, and it allows me to stay with onenote rather than switch to evernote.  Looking forward to the version where I can edit my notes on Android.  Would also like to see a "collapse all" button so that I can just see tabs and not individual pages.

Robert |

1/16/2011 7:36:31 AM #

This app sounds good to organize work.

holden commodore |