Important: MobileNoter for iPad 2.3.2

Thursday, 11/18/2010, 07:09 PM by admin

MobileNoter 2.3.2 for iPad has been released. This update is required for application compatibility with iOS 4.2.

Please when to get abortion note that application database cannot be transferred to the version 2.3.2 from previous versions. In other words, data stored in the application will be lost after update.

So, please PERFORM SYNCHRONIZATION BEFORE UPDATING THE APP.

We are sorry for inconvenience caused by this issue.

Comments

11/15/2010 8:50:40 PM #

thanks for the update.
but in the meantime i have lost all my mobilenoter data! (aarrrghhh!!)
at no point did itunes tell me mobilenote was being updated
or give me the chance to sync first

very annoying

e1two |

11/17/2010 8:56:41 PM #

We are sorry for the lost data, but all updates are displayed in iTunes. And the information about the required sync was included into Release Notes.

Anton Molokoedov |

11/17/2010 2:04:24 AM #

I get "The file is corrupted or in unsupported format" every time I try to enter my account information under the new 2.3.2. I have uninstalled the app and reinstalled it. No change. I have the iPad version.

John Glossner |

11/17/2010 9:01:34 PM #

John, you can recieve this message if you try to open something unsupported on the iPad, for example if you try to download an .exe file. What exactly were you trying to perform when you've recieved this message?

Anton Molokoedov |

11/17/2010 9:13:19 PM #

I simply did the upgrade all from App Store then:

1) Open program on iPad
2) Noticed all notebooks were gone (oh crap)
3)  Hit sync cloud edition and noticed username and password missing
4) Select register new account
5) Signed in (it recognized me and my purchases)
6) Hit done but the program doesn't retain my account and I can't sync
7) Went back to register new account
8) Hit download and selected mobilenoter for iPad (step 3 bottom right)
9) Get file is corrupted or in wrong format

So, for some reason I can't sync and get my notebooks back.

10) Deleted program from desktop
11) Reinstalled it from App Store
12) Same issue - can't sync and can't enter my account information

Everything still seems to sync from the PC side into the cloud but no longer on my iPad.

Thanks,
John

John Glossner |

11/17/2010 9:54:31 PM #

Step 4 and further steps were not necessary. You need to enter your existing account credentials instead of registering a new account. After this the sync should start working.

Anton Molokoedov |

11/21/2010 9:16:54 AM #

I now have two problems with your software.  1) I cannot sync (have been trying for about nine months, and 2) I have now lost all of my data.  I will not discuss the fact that I cannot sync right now outside of the fact that I have been emailing your tech support (Support #4165) and have no working resolution.

To discuss #2:  I am an engineer and writer.  I use One Note for work, personal development, and basically everything.  I have used your software on my iPad for over 9 months.  I recorded my emotions when I found out my wife was pregnant.  I documented memories about my dog who I recently put down.  My estimate is over 400 hours worth of work that appears to have been deleted by the upgrade.  My understanding was that the data was backed up with iTunes and was not concerned about my inability to sync.  You stated in an earlier blog entry that you provide a warning in the release notes, but I updated MobileNoter through the App Store and never saw a warning of any type from your software (there were about 10 app updates being pushed).  BTW - I did receive a warning from Craigslist making sure I was over 17.

Ultimately my points are:
- You should be proud of the fact that people use your software for recording their most important thoughts and research.  I would think this pride would have translated into taking this software upgrade seriously.  The fact that it deletes the data from the previous version with no warning or opt out option is simply unacceptable.  I recommend you pull this upgrade and install a warning/opt out screen so other users avoid the same tragic loss I've experienced.  From the other blog entries, it sounds like I'm not alone.
- I was able to find the data files for the iPad Notes app on my PC.  Are there similar backup files for Mobile Noter on my PC that I could use to recover the data?  I don't care what format they are in or how much time it would take to recover them.

Very frustrated and angry,
Rob

Rob |

11/22/2010 11:30:43 AM #

Rob, please read my reply via e-mail.

Anton Molokoedov |

11/30/2010 2:18:28 PM #

Several important issues were raised by Rob and it would be helpful for all to see a point by point reply.
I am still considering a purchase but want to be certain that concerns are addressed publicly.
Thanks

Michael |

12/4/2010 5:40:55 AM #

Hello Michael,
What exactly do you need to know? If you have lost any unsynced data because of update, there is a way to recover it form the iPad file system. If that data is present on your PC, you simply need to resync it.

Anton Molokoedov |

11/23/2010 1:43:55 AM #

I originally had a lot of trouble synchronising with my PC. I use OneNote for all my note taking at work. And, of course, my laptop has a fair bit of corporate security wrapped around it. Here is how I made it work.
1. Changed wireless connection on laptop to my home network and not the corporate network (which I can still get at home via a corporate VPN and Router at home.)
2. Ensured VPN was off (as it automatically connects)
3. Turned Laptop security software off or to lowest level of security
4. Started MobileNoter on Laptop
5. Started MobileNoter on iPad
6. Now finds Laptop and connects
7. Started Sync

I have some very large notebooks (hence reason for not using Cloud), so the first sync does take a while, subsequent syncs were much faster.

Also, for those claiming no notice on upgrades, there were, in fact, notes. For most apps. But if you get several updates at the same time, the tendency is for people to select the Update All button which means they aren't reading the details. In the case of Apps were I have data stored on the laptop that is important (that is, not just scores from a game) I click on the App and read the full notes.

Paul McDevitt |

11/24/2010 7:50:35 PM #

The update worked great for me.  Thank you for having it out so I didn't loose the ability to use the app when I upgraded my iPad.

Noah |

11/28/2010 9:07:33 AM #

Love the product!

Few suggestions...

1.Wrist guard functionality when writing so that your hand is not making ink marks.

2. Sync with Skydrive
3. Ability to add new notebooks/pages

Thanks,
Scott

Scott |

12/4/2010 5:01:44 PM #

I agree and like the product very much, but the inability to create new pages or chapters in my notebook is a deal breaker for me.  The entire point is that I can take notes anywhere on demand.  Most times my notes for meetings are created on separate pages in order to keep a real record of what happened in specific meetings.  Without this feature, the utility becomes just a cool novelty for me.

Tim |

12/6/2010 12:42:14 PM #

This feature is probably the most complicated one. We'll surely include it into application, sooner or later but it takes quite a lot of time to implement it.

Anton Molokoedov |

12/17/2010 10:00:52 AM #

Can't you just enter the info in quick notes which will sync with OneNote on your pc and there you could move the info to the appropriate folders? Not the most ideal solution but a workaround?

Susan |

11/29/2010 9:15:07 AM #

I take all of my notes for school on the mobilenoter app and now after doing an update that appeared on my app store, I have lost all of my important information and I am becoming very frustrated. There was no notice that my data would be lost if I proceeded with the update. Now, information I need for my exams is no where to be found. Is there any possible way to recover this information?

Allison |

11/30/2010 2:01:56 PM #

This happened to me too. It's annoying I admit, but there's no need to panic. Just sync with your PC and your data will be restored again. The app just needs a fresh start on the iPad or iPhone - it shouldn't affect your OneNote files.

Craig |

12/4/2010 5:49:22 AM #

Allison, there is a notification that you need to run sync before the update in the "What's new" section in App Store.

Anton Molokoedov |

12/1/2010 3:58:13 AM #

Can the wi-fi product be demoed?  I would like to try this product out before I buy......

Chris |

12/4/2010 5:47:08 AM #

Yes, the trial period is provided for both editions of MobileNoter.

Anton Molokoedov |