MobileNoter for Android and new UI

Monday, 08/30/2010, 10:18 PM by admin

We have some wonderful news for you: Android version of MobileNoter which was awaited by dozens of users is finally in development!

Though its development is in early stage we want to share some thoughts and unveil the new interface concept, which differs from the iPhone version GUI (in the better way, we hope).

We decided to redesign the main screen and display not the notebooks list after you've entered the application, but the most commonly used options icons. We think this main screen will help users to find necessary function more quickly using these big colorful tagged icons.

It will look like this (please note that it is not our final decision and everything might be changed in the release version, depending on our users feedback):

At the bottom there will be a notification area, on which useful information will be displayed. abortion center For example, sync statistics.

Some specific Android UI features allowed us to reorganize Notebooks and Section lists (you may drag the notebooks list down from the corner):

Android devices have more hardware buttons then iOS devices, for example the "Back" button, which allows us to get rid of some on-screen navigation elements and to make the application fit Android OS standards.

We would like to read your opinions about this UI concept. How do you like it? Which one is better: the old iPhone one, or this redesigned one?

Feel free to share your comments and thoughts. Also, if this interface structure will be liked more than old one, we'll consider to change the iPhone application's interface also.

Comments

8/29/2010 8:02:22 AM #

I like your ideas and looking forward to the final version

Ronny |

8/31/2010 1:44:27 PM #

I think for andoid phones this is a very good UI. I really appreciate this.
But if it is used on android tablets it could be another story. New andoid tablet emerce quickly and I am thinking of switching from ma table PC (motion le1700) to and android based tablet. But essential for me is to have an onenote application or similar on this device. In this case I probably would prefer the current interface for the Ipad more.

Ron |

9/4/2010 4:35:10 PM #

I agree with this comment - good thinking Ron.

Would it be possible to have both font-end UI's and toggle it as a menu selection?

Really looking forward to this application for my Android device, for my iPad when it gets here tomorrow and hope you'll consider supporting WebOS devices in the future too.

Steve |

9/9/2010 9:53:26 PM #

Ron, Steve, thanks for the comments. We agree that UIs should differ on a mobile phone and a tablet and consider making 2 different designs.

Anton Molokoedov |

9/1/2010 4:45:39 PM #

I like your changes in the UI. Can't wait to see MN on my phone.

Patrick |

9/1/2010 10:45:24 PM #

As a self-proclaimed OneNote addict and Android fan, I'm very excited about MobileNoter for Android. The new UI (and especially the new start screen) look great. I can't wait until there's a beta available. If there's anything we can do to help you out with the development, please let us know.

Warren |

9/9/2010 9:55:30 PM #

The first beta probaby will appear in a couple of months. If you have signed up for our newsletter, you'll recieve information abou this as soon as it is available.

Anton Molokoedov |

9/5/2010 9:08:20 AM #

This looks awesome. When do you expect it to be ready? Do you need beta testers?

Bart Fullan |

9/9/2010 9:57:30 PM #

Please look through this comment: www.mobilenoter.com/.../...Android-and-new-UI.aspx

Anton Molokoedov |

9/5/2010 9:12:41 AM #

I am OneNote addict and Android fan, I'm very excited about getting MobileNoter for Android. I was almost going to break down and get an iPad (yuk) but now I don't. When do you expect this to be ready? Do you need beta testers and how would I become one?

Wizidge |

9/9/2010 9:58:16 PM #

9/5/2010 7:03:22 PM #

Looks great.  Can't wait for it to come out.  Have the IPAD version and w/ the Droid X, will be covered with all devices.  This is the killer mobile app.

Dan |

9/7/2010 11:41:53 PM #

I cannot wait!  I was a heavy user for iPod touch and have been missing it on my android!  The new UI seems nice.

Jason |

9/11/2010 12:09:18 AM #

I am an attorney.  I mostly use MobileNoter to make quick notes in meetings and on the road, that I later move to the appropriate OneNote notebook on my laptop or desktop.  I personally like the existing iPhone main screen (with the notebook list) better than the suggested revised screen, as it allows me to do this with minimum loads and delays.  In contrast, I rarely change my settings and otions in MobileNoter, and, when I do, do not have much trouble figuring out the selections (so would not benefit from having them up front).  The suggestion to include the ability to toggle between the 2 main screen formats would be ideal.  If not feasible, I vote to keep the main screen the way it is.  Thank you.

Dan |

9/11/2010 9:53:09 PM #

Pingback from androidforums.com

Notes app that will sync with desktop? - Android Forums

androidforums.com |

9/12/2010 8:05:10 PM #

Will  MobileNoter be OneNote 2007 compatible?  I hope so.   I'm not ready to upgrade just yet. I use OneNote for everything.   If you can, please please please make it compatible with both OneNote 2007 and 2010.  I'm sure I'm not alone.  Microsoft has about bankrupted many of us, forcing us to upgrade so we can access ever changing features and new hardware.

Jerry Lafayette |

9/13/2010 9:58:23 AM #

Don't worry: MobileNoter is already compatible with both OneNote 2007 and 2010 and it will stay that way.

Anton Molokoedov |

9/19/2010 5:10:42 AM #

Thanks for working on this.  I've been thinking of switching to an Android.

sid carter |

9/20/2010 1:47:54 PM #

I like this layout primarily because it keeps notebook & section views separate. Hope you bring it to iphone soon

Alex |

9/27/2010 7:45:44 PM #

Something that is not available yet, but from what I've been reading might be available by the time this android version rolls out is android tablets (and hopefully ipad) with stylus and handwriting support, so this might be something to think about to get the complete OneNote functionality.

Misael |

11/9/2010 5:48:35 AM #

Pingback from forum.androidcentral.com

Anyone that uses Microsoft OneNote check this out... - Android Forums

forum.androidcentral.com |

11/9/2010 6:28:35 AM #

Pingback from androidhelps.info

Anyone that uses Microsoft OneNote check this out… | Android Phones Helps and News

androidhelps.info |