MobileNoter for iPad update problem

Wednesday, 05/05/2010, 11:00 PM by admin

This is the post for those, who uses MobileNoter on iPad.

We found that some users experience a problem upgrading to version 1.3.1 from the 1.3.0 version: the updated application crashes on startup. In such case you need to remove the application and install abortion support it from scratch.

If you haven’t updated yet, run the synchronization before the update to save your data.

We’ve already sent a fixed version (1.3.3) to the App Store, but it will be in review for some time.

Sorry for inconvenience.

Comments

5/3/2010 3:55:43 AM #

As a brand new mobile noter user, I have to say this was really disappointing.  I lost significant notes that were not yet sync'd, and it is still not able to sync over wifi even after reinstall, saying that the sync server is not the right version.  Not good.

Steve |

5/3/2010 9:24:23 AM #

Steve, we are really sorry for inconvenience this update problem brought.
re Sync Client. we pushed an update today, the current version 1.3.2. It usually takes up to 3 hours for an app to discover an update. To update immediately, please restart the app.

vgorn |

5/3/2010 11:41:40 AM #

I have tried the IPad version over wifi. My initial excitement was tempered when It became apparent how tedious it was to navigate. With several hundred pages on OneNote having to roll down them all in expanded form is not acceptable. Add to this no memory of the last note visited from one session to another and it was unusable for me.  Some 50% of my notebooks were not available because they are passworded.

My trial has expired and I'm advised that I must pay.  The new beta version has now appeared but I am unable to see if any improvements have been made because my trial is finished!

Conclusion ?.... promising app that is not ready for release at a charge.  Beta users/testers are hard to come by and certainly don't appreciate being charged for their services.

I'll check back in six months to see whether the promise is delivered.

Laurie

Laurie |

5/3/2010 12:24:11 PM #

Laurie,
Thanks for the feedback.
I agree that navigation in a notebook on iPad should be improved and we definitely will do this in version 2.0.  Latest update includes 'Latest Pages' list that ease access to often used pages.
I've extended you trial for two weeks so you can play with the latest version. Please let us know what you think.

vgorn |

5/3/2010 5:35:42 PM #

I liked what I saw in the trial which was the first version for IPad and really want the in notebook editing but saw that you are developing that and I want to support your efforts so I purchased the wifi version when this new version came out.
Question: I like the new look but cannot change the notebook colors. On mine they are all blue. Where is that changeable? Also, the notebooks are not movable. Should they be? If not, that would be nice. They show in the order they were synced. I would prefer to be able to move the desk objects around or change their order on the desk.

And I agree, need some way of collapsing sections or maybe selecting sections from the list displaying on the notebook on the opening desk? That would be very helpful.

I also have had major syncing issues with this new issue as you are aware. I had to uninstall then reinstall and re-sync my notebooks with this new version. I realize you are addresssing the sync problem but additionally, I had onenote crash several times and I found I couldn't open two of my three notebooks. Tried deleting and re-syncing them all again with the same results. Then deleted and re-synced adding a notebook at a time which did seem to work although I crashed onenote once again during this process. At least the notebooks opened correctly after that though.
Overall this is looking good and I look forward to your improvements.

Catherine |

5/3/2010 9:27:09 PM #

Catherine, thanks for the feedback.
Notebook color can be changed in OneNote. Notebooks and other objects are not moveable in this version. Although, you can scroll notebooks list if you have more than 5 notebooks.
re syncing issues: we received additional support request on email from you. Will reply soon.

Vitaly |

5/6/2010 4:07:48 AM #

I love the new look.  I too had a crash on first installing the new version but really not a big deal to reinstall and I would love all the updates mentioned above (movable  notebooks/sections, collapsible tabs, editable sheets) etc.  But hey- the IPad has been out for all of ONE MONTH.  I'd just like to say that you guys are doing a great job.  I've paid for the WiFI version but will also buy the cloud subscription as well and happily consider the WiFi a donation.  Heck - do you have a place I can send MORE money to help with development efforts?  This app will vastly reduce the amount of paper I have to carry around and is an absolute natural fit for the Ipad (and will revive my use of One Note), and I know there will be bugs along the way.  All good and expected (the complaints are coming from people who've never tried to program anything).  Keep up the great work.

Beth |

5/8/2010 8:26:53 PM #

Thanks Beth!

Vitaly |

5/16/2010 7:24:46 AM #

Update 1.3.3 Looks good so far. I downloaded it to my IPad last night. No crash on install, all notebooks are the colors set in onenote and it looks like you fixed the touch area so there does not appear to be any limits on the number of notebooks. This version seems much more stable. Now, if you could just provide a way to select a setion within a notebook, or collapse sections for navigating, this would be near perfect!  Keep up the good work.

Catherine |

5/16/2010 8:42:03 AM #

Thanks Catherine. Collapsible sections will be in the next release (2.0)

vgorn |

5/16/2010 12:09:45 PM #

Hi guys,
Is there a way to participate in a Beta program? I'm a new iPad user and a die hard user of the OneNote application.
Regards,
-Rob

rob |

5/17/2010 8:07:39 AM #

Hi Rob,
We don't have a public beta of the iPad version of MobileNoter, but we're going to release the final version in the first half of June.

Anton Molokoedov |

5/18/2010 8:03:03 PM #

I must first admit that I was foolish enough to spend the $15 for the wifi client before testing with the trial period.  I cannot get the wifi to sync at all.  Th iPad sees my PC.  The client on my PC has the ON notebooks checked.  My account is validated.  Everything looks right according to the documentation.  I then initiate sync from my iPad (wifi sync).  And nothing happens except (I guess) the quicknotes on my iPad presumably get sync'd somewhere.  But I haven't created any quicknotes.  Bottom line is that I wasted $15.  Sigh.  Being a heavy user of OneNote (but mostly for simple, outlined notes - no passwords or images or whatever) I really hoped this would work.

Dan |

5/18/2010 11:10:45 PM #

Dan, there are separate lists of notebooks to sync for cloud and wi-fi.Could you please check that you selected notebooks in the "Wi-Fi" list? Then please press apply in sync client and then start sync from iPad. Please let us know if this helps.

vgorn |

5/22/2010 7:43:39 PM #

Few suggestions for using with ipad

1) In landscape view,, the "Search" bar should be locked into position always  at the top. Otherwise when we browse down the pages, we have to unnecessarily scroll back to search again
2) The basic notes functions is  very basic! Please add basic formatting options like bullets/numbers, bold and underline.
3) Totaly agree with comments above about need to make it easier to view large OneNote  notebooks (mine has over 1500 pages across 50 sections).  Scrolling through each page in the index is quite painful.

Thanks

RS |

5/22/2010 10:18:15 PM #

I agree with your suggestions. Additionally, now that multiple notebooks sync, I notice that if I go above 5, the sixth is off the screen partly in landscape and totally in portrait mode. A way to move them or slide the screen over would be helpful. Or maybe resize all the desktop icons?
Also, I personally find the Quick notes and the shortcut to Quicknotes icons to be redundant and taking up valuable desktop space. I would prefer to be able to remove one or if not, then permanently remove the shortcut icon.
Again, I am finding the newest version 1.3.3 to be stable. Thanks for continuing to improve this product!
Catherine