MobileNoter 2.0 Beta is approved

Wednesday, 05/05/2010, 07:33 PM by admin

MobileNoter 2.0 beta with the page editing support is finally approved and available at the App Store. You need to look for “MobileNoter (Editing)”.

As we already mentioned in the previous post, in this version you can edit text blocks and move images on iPhone.

You will need another version of Windows Sync Client for the 2.0 beta, which you can download here -

Please notice that this Windows Sync Client is incompatible with the previous versions of MobileNoter. It is also impossible to use SyncClient 2.0 beta with iPad app.

More details on what is new in this version:

1) It is possible to edit text snippets. To edit a page you have to switch to edit mode by tapping "Edit" button in the right top corner. Editing is not available in Quick Start notebook and in notebooks that were uploaded to the cloud using Sync Client 1.3. So, if you use Cloud edition, please delete notebooks on the server and upload them again (deselect notebooks, sync, select again, sync). In this app version when you tap on a text block and select to edit it you will be redirected to the separate edit screen. In next versions it abortion types will be possible to edit text on a page "in-place".

2) You can move images and outlines on a page. Tap on a object you want to move and select "Move" icon from the popup menu.

3) The way MobileNoter exchanges data with OneNote has been seriously changed. This results are the following:

• Page background (template) set in OneNote will be reflected in MobileNoter.
  • Images set as background in OneNote are supported now.
  • In previous version some parts of a page might be exported as an images. In this case you couldn’t select some parts of text, follow some URLs, call some numbers etc… in 2.0 all text is exported as text.
  • Page display fidelity in 2.0 beta may not as good as in 1.3. This is the main reason we decided to publish it as beta. Good news is that we will be able to fix most of the issues, we just need some time and help of our users. Please let us know if any of your pages looks differently in OneNote and MobileNoter.

5/3/2010 4:50:12 AM #

I think your product is definitely moving in the right direction.
I have a couple suggestions...

Why not make the tabs collapseable to ease navigation.

One of the great features of OneNote, is audio recording while taking notes, and
the ability to play back the recording at the time that line of note was written.
This would be a really great feature to add on to Mobile Noter.

When is the iPad of Mobile Noter 2.0 coming?

All in all, I think your product has really great potential!  Keep up the great work!

c |

5/3/2010 11:18:35 AM #

Thanks for the suggestions. There will be improvements in navigation in next versions. Not sure that it will be collabseable tabs, but this is one of the options.
Audio recording is in our todo list, but not the highest priority right now.
MobileNoter 2.0 for iPad will be finished in May and should appear in App Store in the beginning of June.

Vitaly |

5/4/2010 1:19:12 PM #

The sync is hanging on the beta.  It worked great the first go around and is now just hanging.......I am going to uninstall client app and try again.

User |

5/6/2010 10:54:00 PM #

I am disappointed. Starting with version 1.3x, I was unable to sync. Now with version 2 beta I can sync, but the speed is VERY slow. I have about 100 MB of data I need on my iPhone 3Gs; it took over 2 hours to transfer that data via WIFI on my home network. I then tried to sync via hardwire and iTunes; the same 2 hours + to sync! Yes I have a slower core solo XP PC, but I can transfer a fer gigabytes of music in just a few minutes. You are about to lose my business...

Alan Barker |

5/7/2010 4:17:57 PM #

Windows       : 6.1.7600.0 (Win32NT)
  Common Language Runtime   : 2.0.50727.4927
  System.Deployment.dll     : 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
  mscorwks.dll       : 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
  dfdll.dll       : 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
  dfshim.dll       : 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)

Deployment url      :" rel="nofollow">" rel="nofollow">
            Server    : Microsoft-IIS/7.0
            X-Powered-By  : ASP.NET

Deployment Identity    : MobileNoter.application, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=539a7baec8853c3a, processorArchitecture=x86

* Installable application.

Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
  * Activation of" rel="nofollow">" rel="nofollow"> resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
    + Value does not fall within the expected range.

No transaction error was detected.

There were no warnings during this operation.

* [05/10/10 5:18:26 PM] : Activation of" rel="nofollow">" rel="nofollow"> has started.
  * [05/10/10 5:18:27 PM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.

Following errors were detected during this operation.
  * [05/10/10 5:18:27 PM] System.ArgumentException
    - Value does not fall within the expected range.
    - Source: System.Deployment
    - Stack trace:
      at System.Deployment.Application.NativeMethods.CorLaunchApplication(UInt32 hostType, String applicationFullName, Int32 manifestPathsCount, String[] manifestPaths, Int32 activationDataCount, String[] activationData, PROCESS_INFORMATION processInformation)
      at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
      at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
      at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.Activate(DefinitionAppId appId, AssemblyManifest appManifest, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
      at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
      at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

* Transaction at [05/10/10 5:18:27 PM]
    + System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreOperationSetDeploymentMetadata
      - Status: Set
      - HRESULT: 0x0
    + System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreTransactionOperationType (27)
      - HRESULT: 0x0

Steven Havelock |

5/8/2010 12:25:04 PM #

Steve, you need to cler the ClickOnce cache. More info by e-mail.

5/10/2010 2:23:50 PM #

1) OneNote 2010 support in version 2.0?
2) Does it work with Onenotebooks already synced via SharePoint?

Sren |

5/11/2010 2:54:11 PM #

1) Yes
2) It doesn't matter where a notebook is located. It should be opened in OneNote on your PC where Sync Client is installed.

Vitaly |

5/14/2010 5:47:04 PM #

MobileNoter seemed to be wonderful idea to add utility to the iPhone, however, without its being able to sync with OneNote (in the real world anyway), it's been a real disappointment. Since USB is not available, the only "secure" option is WiFi for syncing.

After setting the firewall preferences, opening the ports, etc., installing, uninstalling, re-installing the sync application, re-booting multiple times, I couldn't get sync v 1.3 to find my iPhone, neither does v 2.0 Beta. While the iPhone finds my networked computer just fine, it can't find MobileNoter, despite opening the firewall port.

Another problem, the instructions always seem to be referring to menu options not there or called something different ... e.g. the WiFi option stays x'd out no matter what I do and the code entry menu to match to the iPhone never appears. There seems to be a missing menu somewhere ... maybe it's time to update the instructions and troubleshooting guide as it doesn't cover the issue I've described here. Thanks.

Lee |

5/17/2010 6:13:56 AM #

Right off the bat, I would like to see a way to sync with the USB cable or through iTunes for faster uploads.  I practically live in OneNote, so when I see each page taking a good 10 seconds to sync, and it reads 12 of 463... well it's going to be a long haul.  Hopefully future syncs won't be so long...

James Palmer |

5/17/2010 8:10:10 AM #

Hello James,
I'm afraid it's not possible - at least now. iPhone OS API doesn't allow 3rd party applications to use the USB sync - that's Apple's policy.

Anton Molokoedov |

5/18/2010 10:47:51 AM #

Just to add to this -- for future readers -- the HUGE sync is only the first time, from then on it's just changed pages.  So with a N series router, this wasn't that bad.

Love the app!  I am a bit confused though, when I get my iPad, which Sync manager version do I use?  I saw a note that 2 doesn't work on the iPad.

James Palmer |

5/19/2010 3:28:59 AM #

The "edit" function is very limited. So far I could only edit one line at a time or move a whole section around. That's not very useful...

Oren |