MobileNoter Roadmap: Overview of Upcoming Versions

Tuesday, 02/23/2010, 04:30 PM by admin

We receive great amount of feedback from MobileNoter users. There are many suggestions that allow us to drive MobileNoter development in the right direction. We are very thankful to all of you who share your opinion with us.

Many users are also asking about our plans on future versions. Although we are answering this in email to everyone, we decided to publish our roadmap here, on the blog, too. This blog post provides some information on what we are currently working on and what we plan to do in the next few months.

Version 1.3

Currently, there are two applications in App Store, "MobileNoter" and "MobileNoter (Wi-Fi)". This was easier for us to start with two separate applications and we was not sure if there will be many customers wanting to use two editions simultaneously. We were mainly focused on delivering two editions and thought that there are two separate groups of users who understand what edition they need.

In reality:

• There are users who want to use both editions. They want to be able to sync large notebooks via Wi-Fi while they are in office and then occasionally sync some notes via 3g.
  • Stats show that majority of new users download both iPhone applications. It seems that it is not so easy to choose a right edition for most of new users as we thought. At least, presence of two iPhone applications makes the chose more complicated.

The next update we are currently working on will contain improvements that make it easier to use both editions. The main improvements that will be part of 1.3 version:

• Two iPhone applications will be merged into one. The same iPhone application will support both editions.
  • We are changing payment model a bit. Users who subscribed to the Cloud Edition will be able to use Wi-Fi edition for free during their subscription period. This will be in effect when the new 2-in-1 iPhone application is released to App Store.
  • Limitation on maximum page size (5Mb) will be removed in this version

We anticipate v1.3 be available in App Store in the end of March.

Version 2.0 Beta

The main feature of version 2.0 is editing capability for existing OneNote notebooks. It will be possible to edit fragments of text with the same formatting, move, resize and delete images and outlines. The first release (2.0) will not contain all possible editing features you can find in OneNote, and will be rather simple. We plan to improve this in later 2.x versions. Priority of features to implement will be based on users feedback.

To be able to add editing functionality, we had to rework the entire way we get data from OneNote. In 1.x versions data is received by using OneNote built-in export functionality, in 2.x versions we receive data in less prepared form using api calls and construct pages ourselves. This allows us to implement editing and other features we was not able to with previous format. Downside is that fidelity of OneNote pages display can suffer. This is not something we are unable to improve, but it can take some time to tune the rendering of pages. This is why we decided to release 2.0 version as a public beta first. It will be available as an option to all new and existing customers. Tentative availability date is the end of March.

Version 2.0

Final 2.0 version will contain everything 2.0 beta has (but without most of bugs:-)), plus we hope to be able to implement some new features in it. New features include tags summary, attachments support and links in notebooks.

Release date of this version depends on how beta testing goes. We anticipate this release happen in April-May.

iPad Support

We definitely will support upcoming Apple iPad device. The plan is to optimize MobileNoter for bigger screen size (without adding new features) by the date iPad is available. Then, after we see the real abortion pill denver device in action, there probably will be special version of the application with new features like inking and better use of larger screen.

What is next

Tentative list on what else we plan working this year:

• Implementing more features, like audio/video recording support and improving existing.
  • Full support of OneNote 2010
  • Versions for other platforms, starting from Android.
  • Working with OneNote file format (one files). This is what will be called MobileNoter 3.0. It will make sync of large notebooks much faster it is now and will allow MobileNoter to sync with cloud storages like SkyDrive.

Thanks for reading such a long post. As always, we eagerly waiting for any feedback you may have. Please do not hesitate telling us what you think (you can leave comments here or use support form). Thanks.

Comments

2/14/2010 11:30:20 PM #

Exciting! I'm quite glad I began investing in this product as early as I did, there is much potential in this. Inking on the iPad with OneNote, how cool is that!!
When development actually reaches version 3.0, how difficult would it be to port the app to the full blown Mac OSX? There's quite a number of people dying to see ON on the Mac, FYI.

TsubasaK |

2/15/2010 9:30:54 AM #

I would like to second TsubasaK's comment. This type of vision is exactly what I want to see as a subscriber.

And a big yay for your plan of changing the software and payment options so that I will be able to do "big" syncs over my WiFi, while having the option of getting updates on the road through the cloud if I realize I did not sync the client before leaving the desk. It's a great idea.

Magnus |

2/21/2010 4:41:55 PM #

Pingback from stewstools.wordpress.com

MobileNoter – sync OneNote to your iPhone/Touch « My favorite software tools

stewstools.wordpress.com |

2/23/2010 6:31:53 PM #

How about the tag summary feature?  will we ever see that in Mobilenoter? (and thanks for the transparency)

Tony |

2/23/2010 9:16:35 PM #

Tony, that would be in the version 2.0:
"Final 2.0 version will contain everything 2.0 beta has (but without most of bugsSmile), plus we hope to be able to implement some new features in it. New features include tags summary, attachments support and links in notebooks."

Anton Molokoedov |

2/23/2010 9:28:20 PM #

Huzzah!!  And apologies for my poor reading comprehension...

Tony |

2/23/2010 9:29:08 PM #

Huzzah!!  And apologies for my poor reading comprehension!

Tony |

2/25/2010 8:16:33 AM #

I received some notification about a 30% price reduction in the WiFi app this week.  If you're merging the two into one, what becomes of the product I (might) purchase this week? How do I know I won't buy the wrong one?

"Two iPhone applications will be merged into one. The same iPhone application will support both editions. "

Matt |

2/25/2010 9:59:34 PM #

Matt, you are buying license to use Wi-Fi edition, not a specific copy of the iPhone app. When applications will be merged into one, you will have to just update app on your iPhone (or download another one).

Vitaly |

3/1/2010 6:46:22 PM #

Is v2.0 going to be a paid upgrade for v1 WiFi customers? I haven't bought yet because I really want the editing functionality but I'm on the fence.

Thanks!

Chris |

3/2/2010 12:04:09 PM #

Chris, upgrade from v1 to v2 will be free. We considered paid upgrade, but decided not to to this, at least now.

Vitaly |

3/3/2010 10:00:33 AM #

I feel like the app has little use right now with the 5mb restriction.  I really hope version 1.3 follows up with the fix.

Joey Smith |

3/9/2010 8:44:18 AM #

VERY interested in the Android app!  I know this is a question that everyone asks and everyone hates to answer... but... Any timeline for Android?

Chad |

3/11/2010 6:17:12 PM #

Chad, no timenline for it yet. Possibly next half of a year.

Anton Molokoedov |

5/2/2010 2:55:04 AM #

I know you're working on the Android version but just wanted to second the request (and hopefully move it up on the priority list [Wink  ) Just switched from an iPod Touch to an HTC Droid Incredible and it's the one app I'm really missing. Can't come soon enough...

Terry |

3/11/2010 7:56:54 PM #

I am an avid MobileNoter users for the Iphone. Pre-ordered my IPAD> Really hoping at some point "inking" will be available.

Keep up the good work on developing this product!

Craig |

3/11/2010 9:08:30 PM #

Used OneNote 03,07&use 2010 heavily. Love MN Wifi sync with iPhone. Too large sections to sync, I split into smaller once.

I love the developments MN is communicating but … what about satisfied wifi users?? Do we need to subscribe later?? Instead of onetime payment?? You don't mention. I fear the bad. I never want te subscibe as a personal user.
Best Regards

"We are changing payment model a bit. Users who subscribed to the Cloud Edition will be able to use Wi-Fi edition for free during their subscription period. This will be in effect when the new 2-in-1 iPhone application is released to App Store."

Geert |

3/13/2010 7:29:52 PM #

Geert, do not worry, no changes for the Wi-Fi edition users.

Vitaly |

3/11/2010 9:48:00 PM #

Any plan to change the way photos are attached in Quicknotes?  As it is it take up too much writing room....seems to me you could do the photos thing with a menu item or at least turn it off so there is more room to write on the Quicknotes page.....

Jon |

3/13/2010 7:19:12 PM #

We have several requests about improving pictures in QuickNotes, and we definitely want to improve how they are displayed in some of future versions, but not in upcoming 1.3 version.

Vitaly |

3/12/2010 3:16:58 PM #

Are there plans to improve WiFi sync? For example syncing to an IP address instead of requiring Bonjour. I currently can't use MobileNoter because I work at a big company and my wifi and main system have different subnets.

Thanks.

Paul Hanley |

3/14/2010 12:38:31 AM #

Yes, this will be in one of next releases

Vitaly |

4/5/2010 10:02:47 AM #

Thanks. I have it working now.

Paul Hanley |

3/17/2010 2:10:22 PM #

Just switched from iPhone to Android (Nexus One) and really miss my MobileNoter. Android version sooner rather than later, please!!!

Russ |

4/2/2010 1:25:36 PM #

When is the 2.0 going to be ready for public beta? Is it still anticipated for April?

Joshua |

4/3/2010 1:44:48 AM #

Yep. We are testing it. Will be ready soon.

vgorn |