Sunday, 01/03/2010, 11:50 PM
Wi-Fi edition of MobileNoter uses completely different functionality to connect one application with another. The MobileNoter server is not used and applications are connected directly. This means that one side should play role of the server now – i.e. listen and accept connections. This involves possible configuration problems that are resolved automatically for most users. However, we found that on some machines connection problems exist. This post summarizes possible problems and provides solutions. We will do all possible to resolve connectivity issues during installation of MobileNoter in next updates, but until then some manual actions may be required from a user. Sorry for the inconvenience.
- A user doesn’t see your PC in the list of available sync services in the iPhone app.
- PC is shown in the list of services on iPhone, but when a user selects it, app shows “Sorry, synchronization service is not available. Please try again later.” message.
- PC is shown in the list of services on iPhone, a user can select it on iPhone and the app on iPhone shows a code to pair devices, but the application on PC doesn’t show a corresponding window where a user supposed to enter the code.
The PC part acts as a server in the Wi-Fi edition. It uses port 80. The application is configured to allow Net.TCP port sharing. To discover PC in the iPhone app we use Apple ownloads/Bonjour_for_Windows" target="_blank">Bonjour service.
A user doesn’t see your PC in the list of available sync services in the iPhone app
This typically means that either
iPhone and PC are not in the same Wi-Fi network or there is some problem discovering PC service from iPhone.
- Check that your iPhone is connected to your Wi-Fi network.
- Try to install latest version of Bonjour for Windows on your PC:
- Please check for possible problems with Bonjour on your configuration. Latest version have known problems with some VPN clients, for instance. Apple suggests logging out of VPN when using Bonjour.
More Info: Troubleshooting Bonjour
PC is shown in the list of services on iPhone, but when a user selects it, app shows “Sorry, synchronization service is not available. Please try again later.” message
This typically means that either incoming connection on the port 80 are blocked by a firewall software on your PC or port sharing is not enabled and MobileNoter interfere with other software that is using the port 80. MobileNoter adds a rule to Windows Firewall during the installation and this works for most of users, but on some environments the rule added works incorrectly for some reasons. For instance, we had a problem on a machine with Bluetooth Personal Area Network installed. I can imagine there are some other network interfaces or other software configurations where manual configuration may be needed.
- Check that MobileNoter Sync Client is currently running (there is MN icon in the Windows system tray). If it is running, try to restart it.
- Check that incoming connections on the port 80 are not blocked by your firewall software. Start from Windows Firewall. Try to turn it off and see if it solves the problem. If the problem is solved, then you need to configure your Windows Firewall to allow incoming connections on port 80. If you have other firewall software, please open incoming connections on the port 80 in it as well.
- Check that no other software is using port 80 exclusively:
- Try to enable the Net.TCP Port Sharing service. This is a service that allows several applications to share the same TCP port. It is disabled by default.
- Find out what software is using port 80 and try to shut down it:
- Run CMD
- Run netstat -ona | findstr 0.0:80. The number in the last row is a Process Identifier (PID).
- Open task manager, go to Processes, select to show PID in menu, select to show processes from all users and find process with PID that was shown on the previous step.
You can check whether MobileNoter sync service is accessible from iPhone by accessing page http://YOUR_PC_NAME/Temporary_Listen_Addresses/MNWIFI (change YOUR_PC_NAME to the name or IP address of your PC) in Safari on iPhone (or on some other machine in your local network). If you receive 404 Page Note found error, while Sync client is running, then some software on your PC blocks a connection. If there are no connection problems you will see a blank page.
PC is shown in the list of services on iPhone, a user can select it on iPhone and the app on iPhone shows a code to pair devices, but the application on PC doesn’t show a corresponding window where a user supposed to enter the code
This appears to be a problem in MobileNoter Sync Client. Window in which you supposed to enter security code doesn’t pop up on some machines for some reasons. We released an update of Sync Client today in which code entry field is duplicated on the settings form. So if a popup window is not shown for you when you are connecting iPhone to PC, please open the settings form and enter security code in it.
Please feel free to send your question using support form, if you have any.