MobileNoter Wi-Fi sent to beta testers

Tuesday, 12/01/2009, 12:29 AM by Vitaly Gorn

image We have started beta testing of the Wi-Fi edition of MobileNoter today. This is version of application is able to sync with PC over Wi-Fi network. Data is transferred over local network without involvement of the MobileNoter server. This is not replacement of the current version that syncs over the cloud, but additional version of the application.

There will be two iPhone applications, old ‘MobileNoter’ that sync via the server and new one – ‘MobileNoter (Wi-Fi)’. Windows application will be 2-in-1, there is Mode setting that changes how application behaves at the moment.

We anticipate that most of the users will use only one edition from these two, but it will be possible to setup and use both if needed.

In addition to the way the data is transferred between iPhone and PC, this new version also includes many bug fixes and optimized to work with larger notebooks.

We hope that we will be ready to submit app to App Store for review sometime next week.

Comments

11/28/2009 9:43:26 PM #

will the wi-fi sync have the same delete random notebooks as sync 1.0 on more than one machine??
please advise how this will be fixed
thanks
labische

labische |

11/29/2009 10:50:23 PM #

Great to hear this. I have an iPod touch and I love MobileNoter, but I've been holding on buying the subscription because, either way, the only way I can sync is with WiFi, and a direct sync without the server would be faster and allow for more storage.

Could you explain the pricing scheme better? What is the initial price, and what will the upgrades cost?

Thanks for this awesome product, I'm a student that lived in OneNote and MobileNoter has been very useful in letting me take my notes with me on my iPod.

Juliana Pena |

12/5/2009 10:54:14 AM #

Juliana, initial price for the first version will be $15. Minor upgrades (1.1, 1.2 etc..) will be free of charge. Upgrades to major versions will be paid (not sure about price of an upgrade yet).

Vitaly |

12/1/2009 11:20:37 AM #

Hi Vitaly,

Thanks for posting on my blog the other day regarding Dropbox / OneNote (which had a request for an iPhone solution):
al.bsharah.com/.../...ith-OneNote-and-Dropbox.aspx

My question is in relation to this dual-PC situation.  Obviously, I sync my OneNote installations using the cloud.  I would like to avoid yet another cloud solution, and this WiFi option has my interest peaked.

However, I'm curious if the system will be able to sync with either machine...or only one.  Please advise on your thoughts regarding this.

1)  I'd like it to sync with my home or work machines whenever I'm connected to either.

2)  Additionally, what would happen I happened to have my work laptop at home and they're both running simultaneously?

Thanks for any thoughts, and what appears to be a pretty cool product!

Cheers,
AL

Al Bsharah |

12/5/2009 11:47:43 AM #

Al, Wi-Fi edition will be able to sync with several machines, but it will override notebooks on sync. Even if you have the same notebook shared using dropbox, on different machines it will appear as different for us and will be overridden. (OneNote returns GUID that we use to identify notebooks, for some reasons GUID is different on different machines for the same notebook. It is even different for the same notebook on the same machine if you open if using OneNote 2007 and OneNote 2010).
It will work ok until you have large notebooks that take significant time to sync. We are looking for a solution of this issue.

Vitaly |

12/3/2009 3:14:42 PM #

Great to hear a wifi version will be available for this great application. I'm a heavy onenote user for both school and work (even taking notes with my iPhone at school).

Do you have a rough timeline for this release.

Keep up the great work!!

Diego |

12/5/2009 11:49:52 AM #

We hope to submit app to App Store this week. It takes about two weeks to approve app by Apple.

Vitaly |

12/7/2009 11:35:24 AM #

Good job. This sounds perfect

Grant |

12/15/2009 11:20:30 AM #

I was looking forward to the WiFi version because I am not willing to pay a monthly subscription. However, I see in a response that the price for the WiFi version will be $15.00. This is too high. I will go back to Evernote. In my opinion, MobileNoter does not give enough value to warrant the $15.00 price tag. Based on other useful applications, I would say $5.00 is a fair price.

Jeff Hensel |