More details about an upcoming release (MobileNoter 1.0)

Friday, 10/30/2009, 12:06 AM by Vitaly Gorn

We already wrote about features that were expected to be a part of v1.0. However that version was released as 0.8. We finished working on the next major release and submitted it to App Store today (it should become available after a review, in 14 days or earlier). This release version number is 1.0. In addition to everything that was included in 0.8, this release includes new features and fixes per users’ feedback.

We want to say thanks to everyone who participated in public beta! We received a great amount of helpful feedback. The responses were mostly positive although the application did not work for some users. The desktop application is quite complex as it uses many components that may work differently or do not work together on some systems. We have to handle many cases. Huge work has been done during public beta and the application is much more stable now.

Another area of improvement in this version is related to security. We are serious about security and features related to security or privacy are always have higher priority in our to-do list. The new version has an option to encrypt the data using a strong security algorithm. Data is encrypted with a key that is defined by a user and that is kept on a local system only (not transferred through the network).

An upcoming update includes a new iPhone application, a new desktop application and a website update.

New features:

• Landscape mode support in iPhone app
  • Search in OneNote notebooks (search is available only when 'Combine pages with sections' setting is enabled)
  • Support of section groups
  • Support of sub pages
  • Improved navigation in OneNote notebooks. It is possible to collapse sections now. This is controlled on the app level in settings form
  • A passcode lock for the iPhone app. You can set a passcode to protect your data on iPhone. The app asks for it on start
  • Optional data encryption. Data can be encrypted using a user-defined key. The key should be entered in both applications, it is not transmitted over the network. We use AES-256 to encrypt your data
  • Proxy server support
  • Swipe to delete a QuickNote
  • QuickNotes synchronization logic was rewritten. The old implementation did not handle some situations, like difference in system time between iPhone and PC
  • A new graphic design in the iPhone app

A splash screen, a passcode entry and a settings form.

Splash screen Passcode entry settings form

Home Page and two different views of a notebook, the first with groups sections and pages, the second with groups and sections (pages are on a separate view).

home page  groups, sections and pages groups and sections

A QuickNotes list, QuickNote editing and a OneNote page view

QuickNotes list Editing quick note page view

Subscription details

The application will be available by subscription only (with a 7-day trial period). There will be two options:

• subscription for 3 months for $5
  • subscription for 1 year for $15 (this is just $1.25/month!)

Payments will be handled by PayPal.

A subscribed user gets:

• 100Mb of storage space. This limit can be changed on request.
  • Free upgrades
  • Free product support
  • Secure data transfer and an ability to encrypt data with a user-defined key
  • Unlimited bandwidth

Public beta testing will end with release of v1.0. All existing users (registered before release of v1.0) will be able to use a trial period.

We understand that some users are not happy with subscription model and would prefer one-time purchase. We do not want to force them to subscribe and are working on another application version that will sync directly with PC via local Wi-Fi network. This version will be available to purchase once, without any subscription, but upgrades will be paid.

10/26/2009 1:46:47 PM #

Congratulations on the release. I do use MobileNoter. However, I am extremely disappointed that you are going to charge a subscription for this application. I strongly believe $15.00 per year is excessive. I would be willing to pay $15.00 total. Comparing MobileNoter to other iPhone applications, I feel $10.00 is more appropriate.

At this point, I will switch back to Evenote and wait for Office 2010 that will have a web based addition to One Note.

Please feel free to contact me if you wish.

Jeff Hensel |

10/27/2009 2:58:22 AM #

Jeff, subscription model better suits online version for which we have to cover costs of the server (hosting, maintenance, bandwidth, etc...). If you do not need to sync via 3G, then upcoming Wi-Fi version is better for you. It will be available as a one-time purchase and will cost about the same a one-year subscription for the online version.
I would suggest subscribing for 3 months for online version and then purchase Wi-Fi version when it is out.

Vitaly |

10/26/2009 4:54:46 PM #

Will the version that allows WiFi sync be available at the same time as the subscription based model?  Is there a cost yet for this version?

It's not that I have any objection to the cost of a subscription model, I personally would just prefer my data to be on a closed network rather than open.

Eric |

10/27/2009 3:06:40 AM #

Wi-Fi version will be available a bit later than the online version. It will cost the same as a one-year subscription for the online version - $15.

vgorn |

10/26/2009 5:22:17 PM #

Version 1.0 is looking fantastic. I can't believe anyone would complain about $15 per year, which is virtually free (4 cents a day? Come on!). My issue lies with the 100mb storage space. My notebooks are already close to 1gb and I don't want to spend time trying to sort out what to sync and what not. Sounds like the wifi-sync version will suit me better, assuming there won't be any limits other than the free space available on the device. Question is, is the wifi-sync version hot on the heels of the other or are we looking at months down the line?

Craig |

10/27/2009 3:11:26 AM #

Craig, we will change 100Mb limit for users who need this. For free. If you do not need to sync to the cloud, then Wi-Fi version is better for you as it will work better with large notebooks. We already working on the Wi-Fi version, it should be ready within a month.

vgorn |

10/26/2009 9:53:17 PM #

I am fine with the costs but would much prefer a closed wifi sync and unlimited storage as soon as you can

you will need to stress this is an app that links to onenote otherwise people searching the app store who haven't heard of onenote will get confused

Scoobie |

10/29/2009 6:32:47 AM #

You state that there will be a new desktop application.  Is this something that can be used instead of Onenote?  Thanks.

Flatop |

10/29/2009 9:04:37 AM #

desktop application = MobileNoter Sync Client. It cannot be used without OneNote. Sorry for the confusion.

Vitaly |

11/2/2009 5:48:49 PM #

While I like the app in principle and can see its potential, I too feel the $15 is a little steep for an app that is currently fairly limited.  For example there is:

- No ability to take photos with the iphone's camera (surely a must)
- No photos, therefore no OCR
- No ability to update existing notebooks
- No capability to access password protected sections in a onenote notebook.

Not sure if it is an option, but another point for your storage discussions would be the capability to connect into a cloud service directly.  I use onenote over several computers and sync via Microsoft Live Mesh, it would be fantastic to sync directly with the cloud as an option and would cut your hosting costs.

Graham |

11/4/2009 1:20:30 PM #

I like the concept and the pricing seems reasonable overall, but I would like to see a direct sync solution over the internet that does not require syncing my information to a server somewhere in the cloud. It's a trust and permanence issue, I don't like the idea of data leakage from a third party where it can be avoided.

There are many applications that use a third party for a proxied startup of a direct connection between two devices, I use GoToMyPC and Orb for instance that work this way. No firewall ports or data leakage issues to worry about except if there is an active man-in-the-middle attack.

Something else I would rather see would be integrating the purchase of the subscription into the iTunes store. I know they don't allow it directly, but I see no reason why you could not have a 2010 version, 2011 version, etc of the application that cont $15 each year and you are forced to upgrade to after 1 year on the previous version.

Just a couple thoughts. Great work so far, can't wait to see some rich functionality using the camera, mic, and more.

Rich Brumpton |

11/6/2009 8:16:23 AM #

It would also be great if at some point embedded files (pdfs, word files, etc.) in notebooks could be viewed from within the application.

Alex |

11/8/2009 6:54:18 AM #

Maybe there should also be a place to send you money! I just upgraded to the new version but am told I need a subscription. So where do I buy it?

PS. All the links in settings on the app show an IIS error.

Dan Buhler |

11/8/2009 6:58:41 AM #

Dan, we are rolling out v.1.0. It should become available in a few hours.

Vitaly |

11/8/2009 3:19:21 PM #

Just updated to version 1.0.: The section/pages view is just great!
But I can't find the search function. Am I missing something?

Michael Indermaur |

11/8/2009 8:47:42 PM #

Michael, just open some notebook and scroll it up. Search panel will roll out from the top side of the screen.

Vitaly |

11/9/2009 2:12:50 AM #

Thx a lot for the fast reply.

It only works with 'Combine pages with sections' enabled.

Thanks again.

Michael Indermaur |

11/9/2009 2:40:31 AM #

Yes, in this version search works only when this setting is turned on, sorry for not being clear.

Vitaly |

11/9/2009 11:44:51 AM #

Will there be a search all sections & pages feature soon?

Dan Buhler |

11/11/2009 12:58:05 PM #

Dan, yes, we plan to improve search function in future versions. There most probably will be a separate search form, accessible from the home screen, that will search trough all your notebooks.

Vitaly |

11/9/2009 7:42:50 PM #

I tried to do a search and "no results" is returned for text that I verified exists in the Notebook.  Is this a bug?

Graham |

11/11/2009 12:59:57 PM #

Graham, please reset your data on the server and on iPhone:
-  Please update your desktop client if you still have 0.8 version. Just restart it to update.
-  Uncheck your notebooks on the Notebooks tab