We already wrote about features that were expected to be a part of v1.0. However that version was released as 0.8. We finished working on the next major release and submitted it to App Store today (it should become available after a review, in 14 days or earlier). This release version number is 1.0. In addition to everything that was included in 0.8, this release includes new features and fixes per users’ feedback.
We want to say thanks to everyone who participated in public beta! We received a great amount of helpful feedback. The responses were mostly positive although the application did not work for some users. The desktop application is quite complex as it uses many components that may work differently or do not work together on some systems. We have to handle many cases. Huge work has been done during public beta and the application is much more stable now.
Another area of improvement in this version is related to security. We are serious about security and features related to security or privacy are always have higher priority in our to-do list. The new version has an option to encrypt the data using a strong security algorithm. Data is encrypted with a key that is defined by a user and that is kept on a local system only (not transferred through the network).
An upcoming update includes a new iPhone application, a new desktop application and a website update.
- Landscape mode support in iPhone app
- Search in OneNote notebooks (search is available only when 'Combine pages with sections' setting is enabled)
- Support of section groups
- Support of sub pages
- Improved navigation in OneNote notebooks. It is possible to collapse sections now. This is controlled on the app level in settings form
- A passcode lock for the iPhone app. You can set a passcode to protect your data on iPhone. The app asks for it on start
- Optional data encryption. Data can be encrypted using a user-defined key. The key should be entered in both applications, it is not transmitted over the network. We use AES-256 to encrypt your data
- Proxy server support
- Swipe to delete a QuickNote
- QuickNotes synchronization logic was rewritten. The old implementation did not handle some situations, like difference in system time between iPhone and PC
- A new graphic design in the iPhone app
A splash screen, a passcode entry and a settings form.
Home Page and two different views of a notebook, the first with groups sections and pages, the second with groups and sections (pages are on a separate view).
A QuickNotes list, QuickNote editing and a OneNote page view
The application will be available by subscription only (with a 7-day trial period). There will be two options:
- subscription for 3 months for $5
- subscription for 1 year for $15 (this is just $1.25/month!)
Payments will be handled by PayPal.
A subscribed user gets:
- 100Mb of storage space. This limit can be changed on request.
- Free upgrades
- Free product support
- Secure data transfer and an ability to encrypt data with a user-defined key
- Unlimited bandwidth
Public beta testing will end with release of v1.0. All existing users (registered before release of v1.0) will be able to use a trial period.
We understand that some users are not happy with subscription model and would prefer one-time purchase. We do not want to force them to subscribe and are working on another application version that will sync directly with PC via local Wi-Fi network. This version will be available to purchase once, without any subscription, but upgrades will be paid.