MobileNoter is available for download!

Saturday, 09/19/2009, 01:07 AM by Vitaly Gorn
We are excited to announce MobileNoter is now available for download! You can download iPhone application from AppStore. Windows Sync Client download link is also live now.

Current version is 0.8. It has all features that were announced for version 1.0. We decided to put application into public beta, because we want to reach a bit higher level of stability. Please test drive-it and let us know what you think.

Our old beta testing team that receives application via adhoc distribution will continue receiving fresh versions before they appear in AppStore.

We continue working on new features. Latest development version already have landscape mode and search support. Next features we are working now are images support for quicknotes and OneNote Tag Summary view on iPhone.

Comments

9/15/2009 7:18:06 AM #

Awesome, thank you! That is a great first step and I am thankful you developed this app.

Now for the bad... :-(
- App crashed on me at one point (I am sure you'll get crash logs from itunes connect)
- The app will be almost useless until there is a way to fully manage all NOTES (edit/add/delete). Of course, it is only my opinion, but adding voice, pictures, handwritten notes is great but not as useful as being able to add a simple text note to an exiting note or to edit a existing note.

Nonetheless, you guys did great, looking forward the next versions!

Olivier |

9/17/2009 5:32:22 PM #

I agree with Olivier that basic editing text of existing notes should have a higher priority than adding voice and pictures.  Handwritten notes seem totally useless on the iPhone and I'd throw that feature under the bus immediately.

Good luck

Stew |

9/15/2009 10:02:40 AM #

installed sync on win7 ultimate.

authorization validates

but when running sync it

server returned an error sync interupted

any ideas how to overcome this.

rebooted,

not working

was able to select a notebook, just not syncing at this time.

joey |

9/15/2009 11:15:14 AM #

Same here.

kim |

9/15/2009 11:46:01 AM #

I get the same error.  Sync utility is installed on Vista Home Premium.

tom |

9/15/2009 11:57:05 AM #

I had the exact same experience as joey, but on Windows Vista 64-bit.

Sue |

9/15/2009 12:27:53 PM #

It's crashing for me when I try and sych as well. Windows 7 Ultimate here.

caleb |

9/15/2009 1:47:20 PM #

I posted this to support.  I am really looking forward to this app as I'm learning to love OneNote more and more.  I'm running 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

TITLE: MobileNoter error------------------------------Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to class type 'mshtml.HTMLImgClass'. COM components that enter the CLR and do not support IProvideClassInfo or that do not have any interop assembly r - did not match any documents.

mcoburn |

9/15/2009 2:25:08 PM #

just for kicks I created a new notebook, it synced fine, as did quick notes input on the iphone.

give that a shot. Seems like it's a problem with existing notebooks.

joey |

9/15/2009 2:59:49 PM #

Tag summary view sounds very useful

scoobie |

9/15/2009 3:00:22 PM #

Thanks for the tip, joey! That worked for me, too. I was able to drag existing pages into the new notebook and they synced just fine.

Sue |

9/15/2009 6:41:40 PM #

Starting a new notebook worked for me as well.

kim |

9/15/2009 6:43:48 PM #

The new notebook worked until I added a few pages from another notebook, then it broke.

Not quite a solution, anyway- my Notebooks are crazy in organization and I can't drag and drop them in one at a time.

But looking like this will be great when all the bugs are fixed.

HH |

9/15/2009 7:37:23 PM #

Sync error
Yes I a having the same problem with sync I get the error "server returned an error. sync was interurupted." The password etc appear to keep saved and the first page of a one note has sync with phone but the rest has not and the problem occurs every sync

j godfrey |

9/15/2009 7:47:21 PM #

We updated Desktop Sync Client to version 0.8.1.
Error "Server returned an error. Sync was interrupted." has been fixed. It occurred only on some OneNote pages that had too long name.
To update application on your machine just restart it. On start it should detect that there is new version on the server and update itself.

Vitaly |

9/16/2009 5:24:02 AM #

got the update this morning. Thanks... seems to be running fine. Would love settings for auto sync down the line.

thx

joey |

9/16/2009 9:46:30 AM #

Thank you for the speedy update to fix the problem!!

Skip |

9/16/2009 4:18:24 PM #

Problem solved.  Thank you.  I am loving this app.

kim |

9/16/2009 7:26:59 PM #

Thanks!

Is there any way to get more than 100 MB of space?

DW |

9/16/2009 8:21:49 PM #

Agreed on the space- even if it's a pay service for storage.   My smallest notebook is 400mb, so I think some of the issues I'm seeing now are the lack of space.

Ideally, I'd like to have about 2gb of space... I figure that's about $5/month or so?

HH |

9/16/2009 8:23:09 PM #

I have the same problem as DW. I have 5-10gb of notes on OneNote and always thought that mobilenoter will only be limited to the amount of space on one's iphone. The other thing is, each specific note is limited to 5mb, and most of my individual notes are larger than this. Is there a way to increase the overall as well as individual memory for notes?

Shay |

9/17/2009 4:38:55 PM #

@DW @HH @Shay

First of all. We are measuring different data. Size of transferred data is not the same as the size of you OneNote notebooks on disk.
-          We do transfer only text and images. Embedded files are not transferred.
-          Images will be resized. We will include this in the next release. There will be an option in Sync Desktop Client.
-          We compress data.

Also, there will be Wi-Fi version that will not have any limitation on total upload size (other than the free storage on your device). This is also would be more easy to transfer large volumes over local network.

We are considering to enlarge overall storage size limit. I would love to hear your ideas on how much space you need, taking into consideration written above.

As for 5Mb limit for a page. We are looking for ways to increase it. Its rather technical issue.

Vitaly |

9/17/2009 7:19:00 PM #

Vitaly- Thanks for the hard work.
A 5gb overall limit would suit my needs. As far as the individual files, 80% of my files are under 5mb, but the rest are 6-7mb. If you could increase the individual file limit to 10mb i think it would solve the problem.

Shay |

9/16/2009 10:05:03 PM #

I can't seem to recover my password.  The link to do it wasn't working yesterday, and today does not seem to be available?  How do I reset my password?

Eric Gentry |

9/17/2009 12:46:35 AM #

I'm wondering if this syncs password protected notebooks.  Also I agree on the space issuse.  Would pay for space.  Also how do you encrypt the data stored on the server?

mcoburn |

9/17/2009 5:01:30 PM #

@Michael, password protected sections are synced when they are unlocked in OneNote at the time of sync. If they are locked, they are not transferred as we just cannot access them. Would love to hear your suggestions if this is not how you want app to behave.

Data encryption. Currently, the channel is encrypted, but the data is not. For users that need that level of security, we will add option to encrypt data using user defined key. We understand this, this feature will be in next release of app that will be in AppStore.

Vitaly |

9/17/2009 3:14:30 PM #

I was really waiting for the release of this app so that I could finally go back to using OneNote rather than Evernote.  Unfortunately, this didn't hit the mark (close though).

Two main problems:

1) The fact that you can't modify notebooks on the go is a major draw back.  Evernote actually had this limitation on release of their iPhone app, but quickly changed it so that you can now modify your notes that were not created on the device.  Please change this.

2) I was hoping for the ability to sync without having to push my notes to the web.  Why not a WiFi sync option like with SyncDocs (which I know has it's own problems) or using a model similar to the iPhone app "Air Sharing" which sets up a WiFi server on the iPhone that you can enable/disable to allow synchronization of files to and from the device?

Honestly, I'd rather pay a $50 fee for this app then have it sync to the web.  I just don't feel comfortable knowing the data from OneNote is "out there" on the web.  It's the same problem I have with Evernote.

Eric Gentry |

9/17/2009 4:49:20 PM #

@Eric,
1) There will be editing capabilities in next versions, although they will be limited (I do not want to build wrong expectations). Some formatting will be lost when editing existing notes. Although we plan to gradually improve this.
2) There will be Wi-Fi version that will not require Web service to sync.

Vitaly |

9/17/2009 8:18:24 PM #

@Vitaly,

Thanks for the response!  I understand the loss of formatting.  It's not a huge thing for me personally, because most of my notes are just that, text notes.  However, I can see where that would be a problem for someone doing diagrams or clippings.

Can't wait for the WiFi version, it actually sounds like it would solve the space limitation issues that seem to be out there.

Eric |

9/17/2009 3:28:54 PM #

Installed on iPhone and Windows XP Pro on my University campus network (so behind security). All works fine.

First comments:

1. Why is there no automatic switch to landscape mode ?
2. Font selection? The default Times Roman is not great to read when tiny
3. Sync with iPhone is slow (GPRS might be a contrib. factor)

I take it 1. and 2. are only a transient feature. Styles of notes in OneNote are not there yet either, but I am less worried about that, as I mainly use text not images.

Otherwise great!  Many thanks, I was waiting for this for a while.

Best wishes,
W.

Wlodek |

9/17/2009 8:38:47 PM #

It took me three days....first day waiting for the app to come up on iTunes, second day to keep wondering what I was doing wrong in the short bursts of time that I had to devote to it, and third day I could finally slow down and keep returning to the directions and figure out what to do next. (It might be helpful to have more precise instructions.) I've finally gotten it to to sync and I'm psyched. I can't believe all the files that it put on my iPhone. I can see a need for creating a iPhone folder where I place current projects, kind of like I use Dropbox. For the moment I'm thrilled! But I will continue to post issues as they arise.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for making this opportunity available just as I was beginning to wonder if I'd have to find a new way to do my thinking work!

amccaffrey |

9/18/2009 7:22:27 AM #

Great application!!  However, I am noticing that my images within a specific notebook are not being synced or transferred.  Instead the notebook has a question mark icon where the images are placed.

Brian Ober |

9/18/2009 10:15:17 AM #

i need to see my screen clips!!!!! i also see the question mark icon...
thanks

xime |

9/18/2009 9:21:00 PM #

That's the same problem I'm having under Windows 7.  Works fine in XP, but who wants to use that?

HH |

9/18/2009 10:17:26 AM #

When you have time you should put some help tips in the app regarding syncing

People may not realise you need to manually sync.

scoobie |

9/20/2009 10:41:08 PM #

Hi,

Been using this a few days now - excellent start.

Most needed feature: search by note title!

Searching indexed note content would be a bonus, but search by title is essential for notebooks with more than 20 or 30 pages.

Thanks!

DW |

10/2/2009 12:59:25 PM #

im having hard time downloading this one.....anyone can help me on how to download this with ease?

panini |

10/2/2009 1:10:21 PM #

Please visit Download section on this web site. Quick Start Guide can be found here: http://www.mobilenoter.com/About#QuickStart
Please let me know if you need more help.

vgorn |

10/23/2009 7:23:29 AM #

I am getting the "Error, Sync was interrupted message" still.  The version I have is 0.8.6.  It validates with my web account OK, but cannot sync anything.

Eric |

10/24/2009 4:50:30 PM #

Eric, I sent you questions by email. Please help us troubleshoot the problem.

Vitaly |