MobileNoter v1.0 Features

Tuesday, 08/18/2009, 11:26 PM by Vitaly Gorn

MobileNoter Icon We are close to start beta testing of the first version of MobileNoter and I wanted shed some light on application functionality. It is important for us to build right expectations of our customers. First version of MobileNoter solves several significant use cases, that we think are most important for most of you. At the same time, its a first step and this means that it may miss functionality that someone is probably looking for. If that is the case for you, please help us drive development in the right way, vote for the features you need on this blog, tell us what you think. We promise to listen everyone, as we believe this is the way to build a great product.

So, what will you see in MobileNoter 1.0?

First of all, integration with Microsoft OneNote. Microsoft OneNote is a great application, more and more people start using it on the daily basis. It is natural that they want to take their digital notebooks away from their desktop just as they would do this with paper notebook. Some use TabletPC for this. But the latest generation of mobile device like iPhone provides great technical capabilities that allow to build reach applications, that is coupled with small size and weight that makes them much more mobile.

Viewing MS OneNote Notebook on iPhone in MobileNoter

Returning to MobileNoter, v 1.0 allows you to view Microsoft OneNote notebooks that you created inside OneNote on your iPhone. It is not possible to edit data in existing Notebooks (except one special notebook, see below). But viewing capabilities are quite rich. You are able to switch between notebooks, see pages and sections (including section color!) and see page content just as it is in your OneNote. Layout of elements, text formatting and images are preserved in MobileNoter. Finally, you are able to zoom and scroll page content like a web page in Safari. We plan to make it possible to edit data in OneNote notebooks on iPhone in one of the next versions.

In addition to view OneNote notebooks, it is possible to create simple notes (we call them QuickNotes in MobileNoter) on iPhone and sync them two-way with OneNote. They are synced into special notebook called MobileNoter that is created automatically. QuickNotes are added into first section, each note in its own separate page. The idea is that you create simple notes on the fly when you are away from your OneNote, then sync them into OneNote and use OneNote to organize them in the better way (add better formatting, perhaps some more info and move to other notebooks where you usually store notes of this type). There is no formatting support in QuickNotes in MobileNoter yet. It will be added in one of the next versions.

UPDATE: Features listed here were part of 0.8 release. We decided to release this version as public beta to reach higher level of stability and implement more features to be part of v1.0

Comments

7/29/2009 6:55:00 AM #

For the love of god, release it!  As a law student, I'm desperate to have a one-note app that can export my onenote content to the iphone.

Corey |

7/29/2009 11:25:20 PM #

I just registered an account, so if you need beta testers, please let me know!

Can't wait to sync onenote to my new iphone.  My primary notebook is as personal travel book where I collect and organise all the info related to backpacking, I'm leaving on a big trip in a few weeks.

It will be interesting how you develop the user interface, because most of my onenote pages were edited on my desktop where I have a 30" 2560x1600 display, and while out and about I access this data on a tablet UMPC with a 7" 1024x600 display, so I'm wondering how all my data and pictures will look on the iphone.

Hopefully everything imported including text in images will be searchable, via the new os3 spotlight search page.

Adam |

7/30/2009 5:23:50 AM #

Hi Adam,

Viewing of large pages is similar to Safari, i.e. the whole page is displayed and you are able to zoom to some specific block by double tapping on it or just use two fingers to zoom to some place in page you want.

re search: No search in first version. But this is priority feature to add in the next release.

Vitaly |

8/1/2009 9:31:32 PM #

Commend you for doing this. I live within OneNote and would love the ability to take my various notebooks with me wherever I go.  The only problem I see, and it is not one the should concern you too much, is that I already burn through an iPhone battery way too quickly.  With an app such as yours, I am sure to be frustrated with Apple even more with their decision not to provide a way to replace batteries during the day.

Terry |

8/4/2009 12:44:42 AM #

Hi Terry,
Yes there is a problem with short baterry life.. But I do not think we can do anything with this. Oh wait, we have Android version in tentative plan Smile
Vitaly

Vitaly |

8/3/2009 10:24:21 AM #

I really appreciate the work you guys are doing, this app has been long overdue. I am more than willing to be a beta tester. Are there still testing invites available?

Aneesh |

8/4/2009 12:47:28 AM #

Hi Aneesh,
Beta testing team is full. We do not accept new testers, at least in this round. It may become possible if somone drops out. We will write on this blog if more testers are needed, so stay tuned!
Vitaly

Vitaly |

8/5/2009 8:26:57 AM #

When do you plan to release the first public version of your product?

Lulak |

8/6/2009 7:35:46 PM #

By the end of September 2009

Vitaly |

8/5/2009 9:19:41 PM #

I'm a second year medical student who relies on OneNote on a daily basis for classes. I'd like to resonate everyone else's comment by commending you on developing this app. The thought of being able to access my notes on to go or while in the clinic is very exciting.
If anybody drops out of the beta testing group, please notify me!
Also, what is your best estimate as to when the program will be released as well as its approximate cost?
Thanks!

Shay |

8/6/2009 7:39:43 PM #

We plan to release v1 to appstore by the end of September. We did not finnaly decided what pricing wil be. I will publish pricing info on this blog as soon as we ready to tell about it.

Vitaly |

8/12/2009 8:03:17 PM #

How about a password protect on the app?  I don't think I'd like to have everyone snooping in my notebooks.

HH |

8/13/2009 5:36:02 AM #

Thanks for the good suggestion we will consider implementing it.

Vitaly |

8/14/2009 6:41:46 AM #

Any plans to implement voice notes? They'd often be more convenient (and possibily safer) than typing while on the move with the iPhone. ;)

Rhonda |

8/15/2009 8:45:16 AM #

Yes, images, audio and, perhaps, video recordings will be added

Vitaly |

8/31/2009 10:23:15 PM #

Have you ever considered adding more videos to your blog posts to keep the readers more entertained? I mean I just read through the entire article of yours and it was quite good but since I'm more of a visual learner,I found that to be more helpful well l

Orlando Family Attorney |

8/31/2009 10:36:00 PM #

Thanks for the suggestion. We will add videos.

vgorn |

9/2/2009 4:31:42 AM #

Will there be the ability to sync notes which are password protected by OneNote?
and will notes be able to be edited and synced back to the PC in future versions, like we can do with the quick notes?

Billy |

9/3/2009 8:30:09 AM #

Even though you say it won't be possible (at least at first) to format your QuickNotes, I hope we'll be able to tag them as ToDo, Important, Question, etc.  I'd like to see at least the first 10 standard tags available for your QuickNotes.  It shouldn't be that hard a feature to add, at least the basic ability.

Thanks,

Stew

Stew |

9/6/2009 9:56:51 PM #

Great Beta - I understand Search is coming up soon which will be a great addition... Also, I'd love the ability to pull up my tags - like the Tag Summary Thingee in OneNote... I'm guessing that's not an easy one tho..   Keep up the great work!

Tony C |

9/12/2009 7:24:17 AM #

First off, great job!!! Even at beta .8, there is already more functionality than MS currently provides on the Windows Mobile platform.

Some suggestions I have beyond what I've already read in this thread:
- would like to see landscape support
- would like to be able to email a page
- would like to be able to collapse sections (w/ option to open notebooks with sections collapsed by default)
- already mentioned, but also would really like to have the option to password protect on a per notebook basis
- in addition to adding multimedia capabilities within a page, tapping into current location information with iPhone maps would also be useful

Doug |

3/24/2010 4:19:30 AM #

Cool concept... it is really useful application it is destined to get famous in the near future and it can be advertized as a green concept as it saves paper... i think it will make a great deal of comfort to office and reporter as it is a simple and effective one..

Cougar Woman |